Start a new topic
Deferred

Budget set up

I would like to be able to set up a household budget for a year that includes a budget by category that rolls up into an overall budget.  So for example, under one budget (2017 budget), I would have amounts broken down by category but can review the budget at a group level.  

This is how budgeting works in the business world, as you want to be able to see the overall picture in one place - and not have to review 20 small budgets to figure out the overall position.

To be honest, I assumed this would be the case for moneywiz and budgeting was one of the main reasons for getting this tool.  I am happy with everything else so far, but if this is not possible / added soon, then its going to be much easier for me to export actual data to excel to compare to an excel based budget - and that is just not very efficient.

And even better - would be the ability to upload a monthly budget for all categories from excel.

7 people like this idea

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your feedback! Indeed, budgets in MoneyWiz work a bit differently at the moment. We'd like to introduce changes to budgets in MoneyWiz 3 but at the moment I can neither say when exactly would MoneyWiz 3 be out or what exactly changes it'd feature.

Paul Hamilton 's idea is very useful and request to implement it as early as possible

Yes I agree - budgeting needs an overhaul, and hopefully it's not a big one.

As Paul describes, there is still a requirement for multiple "Budgets" - eg per calendar or fiscal year, or per individual, or for testing.

But each budget should allow for budgeting per category, and allow for various timings.

Like Utility bills, where different amounts need to be budgeted at different times of the year (due to seasonal effect).

This is linked to the issue of Scheduled transactions (and a Budget should allow user to indicate whether scheduled transactions are to be included/excluded from the particular budget)

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment