Start a new topic
Answered

What's with budgets in latest updates?

Recently I've noticed weird numbers representing my budgets. What they display I have no idea, but these numbers are much much greater than the sum spent in the current month or a budget itself. Maybe now budgets show me how much money I can spend before I get into the red?

Best Answer

Hello Alexander,

In 2.5 update we've changed the behaviour of budgets a little.

Previously, the amounts above the budget progress bar on the budgets list would display your original budget allowance. So, if you had $100 monthly budget with roll-over enabled, it'd display $100 every month, no matter how much you'd spend.

With 2.5 update, this changed. Instead of displaying static $100 amount on the budgets list, we take into account roll-over and budget transfers. So if in previous month you've spent only $90 out of your $100 budget it means that extra $10 can roll-over to the next month on top of your regular $100 allowance, meaning you'd have $110 to spend this month.
Before 2.5 update the budget list would still display $100 - the original allowance. Now, however, the amount on the budgets list above the progress bar displays $110 because this is your real allowance for this month.

To verify this and to try to understand the new behaviour yourself you can generate Reports -> Budgets -> Balance Over Time report for selected budget where you can see if you've been under- or over-spending your budgets that led to higher or lower budget balance.

Answer

Hello Alexander,

In 2.5 update we've changed the behaviour of budgets a little.

Previously, the amounts above the budget progress bar on the budgets list would display your original budget allowance. So, if you had $100 monthly budget with roll-over enabled, it'd display $100 every month, no matter how much you'd spend.

With 2.5 update, this changed. Instead of displaying static $100 amount on the budgets list, we take into account roll-over and budget transfers. So if in previous month you've spent only $90 out of your $100 budget it means that extra $10 can roll-over to the next month on top of your regular $100 allowance, meaning you'd have $110 to spend this month.
Before 2.5 update the budget list would still display $100 - the original allowance. Now, however, the amount on the budgets list above the progress bar displays $110 because this is your real allowance for this month.

To verify this and to try to understand the new behaviour yourself you can generate Reports -> Budgets -> Balance Over Time report for selected budget where you can see if you've been under- or over-spending your budgets that led to higher or lower budget balance.

I got it, thank you, Pawel. I agree, that's more informative.

Login or Signup to post a comment