Start a new topic
Deferred

[Mac&Windows] Edit transactions like a spreadsheet

Hi,

My ideal scenario of managing my finances is editing the transactions (rows) of an account or budget as if I were in Excel.

That means, use keyboard arrow keys to move between "cells" and start typing over them to change their value, without poping up a dialog box. 

Autocomplete would appear as it would normally do in a field of "Edit transaction" modal dialog.

Of course the dialog would still be an option to those who prefer by double clicking.

This change means agility and visibility of neighbouring items.

What do you think?

3 people like this idea

Another plus (and easy to implement) would be: CTRL+ENTER on add/edit dialog equals click on Save/Next, regardless where the focus is.

Hello Filipe,

Indeed, that would speed up transaction entry and modification a lot! If I'm not mistaken, we've been discussing this internally sometime ago - I'll raise this subject once again.

However, we can't promise anything at this time as our current feature schedule is quite full.

1 person likes this

That feature would be excellent! Any update on this?

Waldemar,

I'm afraid that we might not be able to introduce this in the upcoming 2.6 update as the schedule for that update is full. Perhaps MoneyWiz 3 coming later this year.

Thx, Pawel. No problem that is not coming for 2.6. I understand that the schedule for this update is full and didn't expected it for this version. But I really would like to see this feature implemented in MoneyWiz 3. It is a feature which would save me enormous time because last month I switched to MoneyWiz Premium and use the online banking feature and I have to edit the transactions quite a lot (because wrong category or not the correct transaction type etc). The way it is currently implemented with opening a popup is a little bit annoying and slow. Please advocate for this feature so that it will be implemented in MoneyWiz 3. :)

I agree, it's very time consuming to constantly edit or click, click, click pop ups. Much better if we could use keyboard shortcuts to quicken the process. And also if we could highlight multiple transactions in the desktop app and edit/pay them in one go.

I would also like to be able to edit transactions in spreadsheet view, then I could just tab across each field and update (Payee, Category, Memo, Tags).

This "inline" editing should be smart enough to propose the data after typing a few letters (eg start typing category like "ins" and Insurance category is proposed (or drop down list with all categories where "ins" is part of the name)

There is no time saved with downloading transactions automatically from the bank if we have to open each one individually to update them (it is important for us  to have correct categopry and tags for our budgeting and reports, so we have a workflow of all transaction come in as "Pending", then we review the categorires/tags/payees and flag as Cleared. Then monthly we do a formal reconciliation...

Danny, thanks for supporting this feature request. Unfortunately they are too busy with investment accounts, which is a wrong move IMHO.
Login or Signup to post a comment