Start a new topic
Deferred

Optional Automatic Category Creation on Transaction Import

I just started using online accounts, and during transaction import discovered MW2 will automatically create categories.  My personal opinion is this is terrible; I've worked hard to define and structure the hierarchy of my categories. Having MW create some on the fly really messes up my budgeting and reporting.  Yes, I can go through and edit them, but that's a significant amount of time and work.  Particularly since some of these categories are named the same as ones I already have, but at a different level in my category structure, so it takes careful filtering and editing to correct the categorization.

I created a support ticket and was told that over several imports, hopefully MW will learn to use my categories and not create its own on the fly.  I'm not looking forward to having to deal with this repeatedly over the next several months.

If you really think this is a useful function, which obviously I don't, then please give me an option to turn this off.  Instead, when MW thinks it should create a new category just leave the transaction as "uncategorized" with a "?" icon.  These are very easy to find and then manually categorize the way I want.

1 person likes this idea

I completely agree, although I recognize that MoneyWiz is working very hard to strike a balance between fully automated and mostly manual.

I think the best approach to online imported transactions would be to handle them the same way 'normal' imported transactions are handled -- step through the imported payees, categories, and duplicates and prompt for matching or 'create new' at each step.

And then make this optional. You already have the workflow in place. If I've selected the new option: 'review downloaded transactions before import', then accumulate the downloaded transactions in each account for review, with a flag on the account in the account list. I can then go to the accounts with unreviewed transactions and 'import' them using the normal import process.

I completely agree, although I recognize that MoneyWiz is working very hard to strike a balance between fully automated and mostly manual.

I think the best approach to online imported transactions would be to handle them the same way 'normal' imported transactions are handled -- step through the imported payees, categories, and duplicates and prompt for matching or 'create new' at each step.

And then make this optional. You already have the workflow in place. If I've selected the new option: 'review downloaded transactions before import', then accumulate the downloaded transactions in each account for review, with a flag on the account in the account list. I can then go to the accounts with unreviewed transactions and 'import' them using the normal import process. If I haven't selected that option, MW continues to do what it does now.

Apologies if this is posted twice.

I like Jon's suggestions.

Paul,

Would you mind sharing your feedback in this topic?

http://silverwiz.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/308404

Thank you!

I have the exact same problem and I would like to see a option to disable automatic categories on online transactions sync.
Login or Signup to post a comment